For Judy’s 50th birthday, she decided to fundraise for LHM by asking for donations rather than gifts. Read on to hear Judy’s story…
“As a Neonatal Nurse, I have had the privilege to nurse many babies and care for their families with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Every journey is a different one, often extremely challenging, sometimes unexpected but each one unique. Recently, my best friend also sadly lost her first daughter to HLHS, and it was only then that I realised the amazing support and information that Little Hearts Matter provide to families in this situation.
I always consider myself extremely privileged to have 2 healthy, happy children – working in the NICU environment makes you realise this every day. I also have the Motto in life that “It is better to give than receive”. Therefore, for my 50th Birthday I asked Friends and Family to come together, and in Lieu of any gifts, dig deep for a Charity Fundraising Birthday party, with all proceeds being donated to LHM.
4 months of planning, gaining auction and tombola prizes, thinking of a “theme” and much more bought us to Friday 15th November 2019 where our fundraising event included a Silent Auction, Tombola, Gift Voucher Lucky Dip, Name the Bear and much more!
Thanks to everyone’s generosity, and the online giving pages set up we raised a staggering £2,737.83!
A Silent Auction is a great way to get fundraising – here are my top tips for anyone considering this:
- Give yourself plenty of time to get organised in writing out for prize donations.
- Consider all local businesses, local restaurants etc – you will be surprised at people’s generosity, especially if you will advertise the donors during the event.
- Think of some “Unique” prizes – or ask any friends of family who can donate an “experience” such as a week in a holiday home, Beauty treatments, Gardening or housekeeping etc.
- Make sure everyone understands the Silent Auction Concept before the big event – include details in your invitations
- Think about the best place in your venue to display your auction prizes
- Enlist helpers! And be prepared for a bit of hard work!
Huge thanks to everyone who donated, and Bid on the auction – we had a GREAT night!”