Below are ideas of questions you may like to ask at your next hospital appointment.
About the diagnosis
- I don’t really understand what is wrong with the baby?
- Why has the baby got something wrong with its heart?
- Did we cause the baby’s problem?
- What further tests will we need?
- What treatments are available to help the baby?
- Who can help me understand the condition?
- Am I allowed to terminate this late in pregnancy?
- What will termination mean for me?
- If I terminate the pregnancy can I have other children?
- What happens to the baby if we don’t want surgery?
- Who will help us if we take the baby home?
- If we have surgery who will do it?
- Will we have to travel to receive treatment?
- What are the risks of surgery?
- How long will our baby live?
What will happen in the future?
The plan for the baby
- What will happen to the baby after it’s born?
- Who will be looking after the baby?
- Can we be with the baby?
- Will we be told what is happening with the baby?
- If the baby has to travel can we go with them?
- How will the baby’s condition be kept stable before surgery?
- Will I be able to breastfeed the baby?
- Can the baby have a heart transplant?
- Can I have more children?
- What are the risks of having another child with the same problem?
- How will the baby be after surgery?
- What sort of life do children with this condition have?
- Do children spend their lives in a wheelchair?
Delivering the baby
- Will I need a Caesarean section? Will I be induced?
- Can my partner be with me when I have the baby?
- Where will I have the baby?
- Will I see the baby after it’s born?